Thursday, June 24, 2021

I had an eye opening experience today.  This morning I spent an hour or so reviewing entries on pharmacists nominated in the entrepreneurial category for the Next-Generation Pharmacist Awards.  My career has been centered on independent community pharmacy for 4 decades.  As The Road Trip Guy, I have driven to and visited amazing pharmacies all across the country.  Still, I was blown away by the uniqueness of the 10 pharmacy owners I read about today.   They have indeed found a way to think outside the box.   

Some of them have created retail pharmacies that sell only generics or that that do not accept any insurance.  Others operate in "the cloud" but provide same day hand delivery.  One is a mobile pharmacy that does only vaccinations.  They literally have no physical location.  Another bought a medical transportation business to help people in underserved communities get to their healthcare providers.  Then there is a specialty pharmacy doing amazing things with HIV, Hep. C,  and monitoring progress doing laboratory testing under a CLIA waiver.  

One comment made famous in the movie, Jurassic Park, is, "life will find a way."  My comment from today's experience is that pharmacy, will find a way.  My thanks to Parata and Pharmacy Times for inviting me to be a judge for this awards program.  But, more importantly, my thanks to those pharmacy owners who realize that the problems are opportunities in disguise and are finding ways to do more and be better.  




No comments:

Post a Comment